Holy cow it’s FRIDAY, and this week has been equal parts absolutely awesome and absolutely insane. The Fall semester is in full swing, and sometimes I find it hard to think of my top 5 really great things of any given week, but I’m going to do my best. I know I haven’t posted a H54F in a while, and it’s probably because work has just exhausted me– in the last two weeks, I’ve taught 7 library instruction classes in subjects ranging from Spanish Culture and Siglo de Oro to an English class focusing on local food. On top of that, last week we had our huge event, Bibliobonanza, where students could come through the library, learn a little something at each department, pick up free library swag, and play ridiculous games like CD shuffleboard. It’s been fun, but I can’t wait for the weekend.
So, without further adieu, here are my top 5 favorite things from this week!
1. I found out that one of my photographs is going to be published in Orion Magazine‘s November/December issue this year. And this is big. It will be featured with their special series, “Place Where You Live.” I couldn’t be more thrilled at the opportunity, and I’m a little giddy to get my copy and see it in print!
2. A colleague and I finally submitted our book proposal. This is the first time I’ve ever done this, but we’re hoping it gets picked up by Library Juice Press. They publish excellent books revolving around “theoretical and practical issues in librarianship,” and I think our book fits that perfectly as we plan to reimagine libraries from a more philosophical perspective. I think it’s going to be awesome- that is, if they want to publish it. I have to admit, I’m a little bit terrified. What if they do actually want to publish it?
3. I have a new mentee in the library world. A new librarian who moved from the East Coast to the Texas Panhandle contacted me recently to ask if I’d be her mentor. What the hell are the chances of that? She thought my post on librarians as mentors was great, and we’ve decided to collaborate and learn from each other, too. And, hopefully become good friends in the process. 🙂
4. I’m currently reading The Bees by Laline Paull, and wow. It’s very good so far. I’m hoping to finish it sometime this evening. It reminds me of Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale but with some kind of Arthurian sub-tones. I don’t know – it’s just excellent writing and thinking. I find myself in a trance when I pick it up, not knowing what’s real and what’s imagined.
5. I got a kitten and I named him Robert! Okay, the story is pretty sad: I found him on the side of the road crying next to his dead mother. He had some blood on his face when I picked him up, but so far he’s healthy and happy. The vet estimates that he’s about 6wks old, but he still tries to nurse on my EARS. He is weird enough that he’ll do great in our goofy family. Sunny, our adult cat, has been pretty grumpy about the whole thing, but I snapped this photo last night – and it’s probably one of my favorite things about this week:
How has your week been? Any big plans – do anything awesome? Share!